I take a lot of photos using my mobile phone camera. In fact, I have taken too many photos that I need to spring clean my camera roll every week or two. Even though I do appreciate the fine details I could capture with my SLR or point-and-shoot cameras, taking photos using my mobile phone is more practical. I don’t even need to upload them onto my computer; I’ll just use my favourite editing apps to make them look more attractive. I’m starting to run out of memory space to keep all of my photos, that’s when I decided to start printing them. I also realised that I might be able to do something creative with the prints.
Thanks to Epson, I get to print my favourite photos using Epson Stylus Photo R2000 printer and Epson Ultra Glossy Photo Paper, it is super white – therefore ensures photo’s vibrancy, very glossy and 300 GSM thick!
If you have been following my blog and instagram, you will notice that I’m a sucker for colourful things. That is why the Epson Stylus Photo R2000 is such a good fit for me because they focus on features that optimise colour printing.
The printer consumes 8 individual ink cartridges of different colours, including Gloss optimizer, Photo black and Matte black to ensure rich deep blacks on matte and glossy paper. Epson’s LUT technology converts CMYK or RGB colour information to create the appropriate ink blends for the particular image or graphics. I am so pleased when I saw how vibrant and clear the colours of my photos are, even colour gradations are very smooth. I also found that unlike most ink jet printers, this printer has minimal grains, which is great for printing illustrations with solid colours.
With Epson UltraChrome Hi-Gloss 2 pigment ink, the prints are also water, smudge and fade-resistant, which is great, because I would love to own these prints for many years to come. I can totally imagine myself showing these photographs to my kids while saying “I took these photos using a smartphone… it’s a cool thing back in time.”
The Epson Stylus Photo R2000 is definitely not a regular ink jet printer. It is a semi–professional printer fit for creative professionals such as myself who is required to create mock-ups and do colour testing for clients.
Luckily, Stylus Photo R2000 accommodates medias up to A3+ size and as thick as 300 GSM (I honestly have not tried anything thicker than that, but according to the Epson website, you can even print 1.3 mm thick boards. Sweet!). The printer is also Wi-Fi enabled, which makes it easier for me to print wherever I am in the house, without any cables needed. Despite all the fancy features that they have, the printer still provides an option for High Speed printing, which is useful when I’m in a rush.
D.I.Y Photo Gift Box
I have also created a printable Photo Gift Box that you can print and assemble to contain your freshly printed photographs (download link is at the end of this post).
The printable photo gift box I have created can fit approximately 40 pieces of 9×9 cm photographs (height can be adjusted -/+ 2 cm). You may use the printable Photo Gift Box to keep your own photos. But since sharing is caring, you can give them away as gifts.
1. There are a couple of ways you can print your photographs:
– If you’re lucky enough to still have your high-resolution photos stored in your camera roll, you can transfer them to your desktop and print right away.
– If you’re like me who doesn’t keep your High-res photos for too long in your phone memory space, you can use Instaport to import your Instagram photos into your desktop, resize them and print. Their resolution is high enough for 9×9 cm photos that’s going to fit in the photo box. You can resize and arrange the photos on A4 size 300 dpi file using Photoshop. If you don’t have photoshop, you can download a free trial version that you can use for 30 days here.
2. Trim the photographs along the lines to make 9×9 cm size.
3. Print the photo gift box template on smooth and matte thick card stock, at least 270 GSM.
4. Assemble the gift box, and put the photos in. The box can contain approximately 40 prints with 300 GSM thickness each.
5. Write your message or category for each box on the white box provided on the top part.
Here are some fun things to do with your photo prints:
– Creating photo journal
– Photo wall
– Photo garland
– Greeting card/gift tag
… and many more!